a magnificent distraction

thoughts sparked by works of literature

Okay, I have to start by admitting that I thought this poem was going to be a book-length work, so I was really surprised when I discovered that it was really only a few pages long.

That being said, this poem blew me away. I feel like I need to go out and do some research on it, because it's really dense and complex, and I know I'm missing a large percentage of the references being made. However, I also know that the poem is extremely powerful. It's got a strong message to deliver about what it means to be Chican@, and what it means to really embrace one's past and bring it to bear on one's present.

I feel like anything I say is going to be inadequate. What I will say is that you should read this poem -- it's short, but it's really powerful. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

the distraction

Books. Reading. Words on a page. This is my magnificent distraction, a black and white obsession that has resulted in my pursuit of a PhD. This blog was born of a desire to write down my thoughts about the books on my reading list for the candidacy exams, and to share them with anyone who cares to read about them. Now it continues beyond that reading list (as my exams are behind me) and into the realm of my regular reading pursuits, whether they are for pleasureful or professional purposes. Enjoy!